The UIAA is the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation. In the spirit of sport and friendship it brings together nearly 1.3 million men, women and children joined by their passion for mountains. As a global community of volunteers, our members exchange ideas, give guidance and work together on the following areas:
- Lobbying for the opportunity for everyone to responsibly access the world’s special and beautiful mountain environment.
- Giving young people the opportunity to overcome differences and form friendships across borders and cultures – building a peaceful and better world through sports.
- Preserving mountain environments for the good of all by supporting local communities to achieve sustainable development and respect nature.
- Providing reliable safety standards for climbing equipment and advice on medical issues related to mountaineering.
- Organising competitions in ice climbing with the ultimate aim of competing in the Winter Olympic Games. We fight doping.
The UIAA was founded in 1932. It started as a predominantly European organisation, but now all continents are represented with 82 member organisations from 57 different countries. The UIAA is recognised by the International Olympic Committee as the international federation for mountaineering.
Since 1964 climbers have been able to look for the UIAA Safety Label when they buy climbing equipment. The label means that products have been tested to the highest standards. Since 2004 the UIAA has also awarded the Environment Label to those who follow UIAA environmental guidelines when organising activities in the mountains.