International Sustainable Summits Conference United States 2014
Location: Colorado, United States
20 - 23 July 2014
The American Alpine Club (AAC), in collaboration with Denali National Park, will present "Sustainable Summits: The International Mountain Conference on Environmental Practices", a once-in-a-decade gathering of key leaders in mountain management, conservation, and the outdoor industry.
The AAC is hosting the event at the American Mountaineering Center in Golden, Colorado from July 20 to 23, offering plenary sessions, panel discussions, vendor booths, and evening lectures, with a working field trip to Rocky Mountain National Park on July 24.
The conference is designed to foster global partnerships and better inform land managers, NGO’s, climbers, and outdoor industry partners on issues related to environmental sustainability, the effects of climate change, access, and management of mountainous regions.
Conference participants represent mountainous areas worldwide,
including Antarctica, Nepal, India, Tanzania, Canada, Indonesia, New
Zealand, France, Japan, Peru, and Argentina. Session topics are
detailed on the AAC website, including a special panel discussion
entitled "The Everest Knot” focusing on current social, economic, and
environmental challenges in the Himalaya. A full listing of conference
speakers is also on the website, which includes such diverse leaders as:
- Peter Metcalf, CEO/President of Black Diamond
- Dawa Steven Sherpa, Everest environmental conservationist
- Conrad Anker, Climber and Environmental Activist, and co-founder of the Khumbu Climbing Center
- Dr. Tetsuya Hanamura, VP Japan Workers Alpine Federation
- Nick Lewis, Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions
- Ben Lawhon, Education Director, Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
- Peter Whittaker, co-owner of Rainier Mountaineering Incorporated
- Karen Rollins, Backcountry Energy Environmental Solutions (BEES)
- Traute Parrie, U.S. Forest Service, Beartooth Ranger District, Greater Yellowstone Area
- Paul Anderson, retired Superintendent of Denali National Park, search and rescue specialist
- Blaise Agresti, Petzl Foundation, mountain rescue professional, Chamonix-Mont Blanc
- Ruben Massarelli, Chief Climbing Warden, Aconcagua Provincial Park
- Dr. Mike Loso, Associate Professor of Earth Sciences, Alaska Pacific University.
The event will culminate in an optional day hike to Gem Lake (8,800 ft elevation) in Rocky Mountain National Park, site of a solar dehydrating toilet, a working example of innovative technology in a remote mountain setting.
Registration for the Sustainable Summits Conference, July 20-24, is open to all individuals interested in mountain sustainability, as well as those seeking training and professional networking opportunities. Conference capacity is limited to 150 attendees, so advance registration is strongly encouraged. The conference fee is $200, which includes three lunches. Affordable lodging during the event has been reserved by the AAC. For conference information and online registration go to http://www.americanalpineclub.org/p/sustainable_summits.
Conference planners are intending to provide live video streaming of conference presentations, with more information available on the website in upcoming weeks.
Roger Robinson, conference co-director email@example.com
Remy Rodriguez firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to our newsletter
The excitement returns with the 2015-2016 UIAA Ice Climbing World Tour and continental championships
2015 Annual General Assembly will be held in Seoul, South Korea
UIAA President Frits Vrijlandt speaks out on the need to protect our mountain environment
Equipment testing on mountain equipment to qualify for the UIAA Safety Label
Rabenstein, Italy: 2015 World Championship - Rabenstein, Italy
Future Olympians on the sport they love at the 2015 World Youth Championships, Saas Fee, Switzerland
Sochi Winter Olympics - Ice Climbing Festival
2015 UIAA Ice Climbing World Tour Trailer
Feel the excitement
Goldwin Korea and UIAA Join Forces - Ice Climbing World Cup
Cheongsong 2013 UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup
Trailer - 2013 UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup
UIAA Mountain Equipment Testing 3
Kirov Ice Climbing World Cup 2013
UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup 2008
Busteni, Romania - 2013 UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup
Trailer - 2013 UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup
Mountain Equipment Testing 2
Climbing & Mountaineering
About the UIAA
CH-3000 Bern 23 Switzerland
Tel: +41 (0)31 370 1828
This is the official website of the
International Climbing and Mountaineering Federation (UIAA)
© 2013 UIAA. All rights reserved.